July 5, 2022
Second Chance Grace Period for @catholicweb.com Email
Some users were surprised to find that on June 27 their email was no longer accessible. That certainly wasn't our goal, but we understand that things happen and some users weren't able to migrate or export their important emails prior to June 27.
CatholicWeb email accounts had been operating under a legacy system that Google had offered in 2015. This legacy program was officially shut down on June 27. Given the situation and options Google presented us, it was not financially feasible for CatholicWeb to migrate to a pay modal. Migrating 1600 users at the rate of $10 per user, per month is beyond our financial abilities.
While we can't restore CatholicWeb for 1600 users, as a result of some creative thinking, we can temporarily restore email service for a small number of users. This effort will allow those users who missed the June 27 deadline a second chance opportunity to migrate and/or export their data from their CatholicWeb email accounts.
Upon completing the form below, we will temporarily restore access to your account until August 31, 2022. This grace period is intended for users to migrate or export their important information from their @catholicweb.com email account. All requests must be received by July 26th. We will not be able to restore access to any closed accounts after July 26.
- July 6 - Opt-in registration opens - request access to your account
- July 26 - Deadline to opt-in. This is critical. After July 26 we will NOT have the ability to restore any more accounts
- August 31 - Workspace subscription is canceled and Email service will cease permanently
Request Account Restoration by July 26
Deadline has passed - Account restoration is no longer possible.
Email @catholicweb.com will cease operations June 27, 2022.
We have been blessed to be able to offer CathoicWeb email for many years at no cost because it was originally a service obtained from Google at no cost. However, we were recently notified that Google will discontinue the service as of June 27, 2022. Read the announcement here.
We apologize for this difficult news, especially for those of you that have relied on our service for many years. Unfortunately, this change is out of our control. Below we have provided some tips and resources to help you migrate your email messages from your Cathoicweb.com account to a free Gmail account. We are not in a position to offer email migration support beyond what is outlined below.
How you proceed with your account is up to you, but as of June 27, you will not be able to access your CatholicWeb email account any longer. If you intend to migrate your email messages to a different account, such as Gmail, we suggest starting as soon as possible and not waiting until June 27 approaches.
Email Migration Recommendations
- Switch to Gmail - We only recommend this because it is the same email service that was used by CatholicWeb email, so it will be a familiar experience. And it is free.
- Sync your old email messages in your Catholicweb account with your new Gmail account.* Read instructions here.
- Backup your Email and account using Google Takeout (useful if you elect to use a 3rd party email service)
*NOTE: Permission for Less Secure Apps may need to be enabled in your Catholicweb account before migration of messages. To enable Less Secure Apps: 1) Go to https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps (You may need to sign in.) 2) Turn Allow less secure apps on.
CatholicWeb makes it easy for anyone to have an online presence
Since 1997, the primary mission of CatholicWeb remains to provide churches, schools, diocese, and ministries in need, with free or low cost Web services that help compliment existing communication efforts and evangelization of the Catholic faith.
Support For questions or issues with your hosting, domain name, or email service, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Domains - Find the right domain for your site.
- SSL Certificates - Featuring DigiCert, GeoTrust and Sectigo.
- ID Protect - Keep your domain information private.
- Email - Secure and spam-protected email for your domain.
- DNS Hosting - For those who have a domain and want reliable DNS
- Business Listing - Boost your website’s hits with Business Listing.